Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Week 14

I am starting to feel the little peach-sized nubbin (and its entourage) inside me if I'm laying on my stomach. Not actually feel him/her doing anything, but I can tell there is something in there. And I'm starting to show a little in addition to the standard marshmallow layer around my midsection.

"Pretty good. How are you feeling?" I feel like saying that anyone who asks how I'm feeling. Like, my story is kind of boring because I'm not throwing up all the time (thank goodness!) so maybe you have some mysterious illness you'd like to share about.

As far as symptoms, I haven't had any food aversions per se, but I don't get excited about certain things that I used to love, like coconut shrimp with pina colada sauce. Steve says I probably just wore it out and would be tired of it even if I weren't pregnant, and he's probably right.

Other symptoms... Heartburn when I'm laying down, courtesy of the relaxing effect of the progesterone on my cardiac sphincter.

Acne, especially on my shoulders, now a joy every day and not just once a month. (Thanks for that as well, progesterone. I understand you are pretty important to baby manufacture, otherwise I would evict you alltogether.)

Fatigue... I usually take a nap in the afternoon. With Riley.

Allergies... I've been getting headaches just about every day and this week I have a nagging clear-your-throat kind of cough that doesn't get any better or worse. I normally take Claritin, but it's not on The List of meds approved for pregnant ladies. What is on The List is Benadryl, which renders me unconscious for 12 hours. But, a nurse from my OB's office just called back to grace me with the news that Zyrtec is Class B (still okay to take) and is now available OTC.

Appetite... Some days I don't get very hungry, and when I eat I feel full for hours. Other days I wake up to pee in the middle of the night (yes, still) and feel like making a sandwich. I have this picture in my head of a pregnant lady sitting on the floor in front of an open fridge eating a chicken leg or something. I think it was from a commercial and it cracks me up.

I'm officially in my second trimester and they tell me I will likely be glowing and energized before long. I'll let you know! Right now it's time for a nap.

No comments: