Monday, June 6, 2011

In Honor of the Orangutans

I'm not a big fan of banana-flavored things, or even dried banana chips.  But our little monkey loves bananas ("BAH-na-NAHS") and I've been eating more of them lately.  When they get a little spotty I freeze them.  Olivia also loves smoothies ("movies") and tonight after she picked through dinner I decided she needed some more to eat.  So I raided my growing stash of frozen banana cubes, which she doesn't like to eat plain like she does frozen blueberries.  I used part of a container of vanilla yogurt and a scoop of vanilla protein powder (Olivia is practically vegetarian so I sneak protein in her food however I can), mixed in some frozen bananas and milk, and blended.  Score!  The child will drink her weight in smoothies.


Not to be left out, I decided to try and recreate the beloved Banana Cream Milkshake from Chick-Fil-A for myself, hopefully shaving off a few calories in the process.  I saved a little of Olivia's mixture (yogurt, not ice cream) and added some more bananas to thicken it up and add some lumpy texture.  I had box of Nilla wafers in the pantry (free from a Nilla Wafer Party, so that deserves a mention even though they wound up in a cliche with bananas) so I crushed up a few of those and voila!  I know I talk about food a lot on here, but everything is just so delicious when I'm pregnant.

Oh yeah, the orangutans!  My friends Trice and Jen and I took our four little girls to the National Zoo in DC today.  One of my favorite parts was seeing an orangutan traverse the O-Line.  I think he would have liked my banana creation.

No comments: