A little about his name...
- Yep, it's different. Bowen is not even in the top 1,000 for any time period, which may explain why I got quizzical looks when I tested it out on unassuming strangers like the old guy bagging my groceries.
- I like last names for boys, and Bowen was originally a surname as with Capt. Jeff Bowen, an Asheville NC firefighter who was killed in the line of duty right before we were there this summer.
- I first heard Bowen used as a given name years ago and kinda tucked it away. So thank you to our pastor in Delaware, S. Bowen Matthews, a wise and gentle man.
- Friends of ours had a nephew named Bowen, who was born in April this year and lost a short, heartbreaking battle with PKD. (Full story here.) Hearing his story cemented the name on our short list.
- My dad, who is a retired airline pilot with a lingering Tidewater Virginia accent, pronounces it "Boeing," which I think is funny. He can't not put a "g" at the end.
- We're not going to use the nickname Bo. His name is Bowen, thankyouverymuch.
- My grandfather was named Elliott, so that's where we got the middle name and its spelling.