Monday, March 3, 2014

Moving Week

My studio before we finished
I've known moving day was coming for months, but it still didn't prepare me for how stressful a move is.  I have a lot of stuff, piles of clutter, unfinished projects, piles of magazines to read.  It usually doesn't bother me, but I have a hard time letting go of things that are still good, still useful, still valuable.  But it was time to let go of that stuff, and pack up the most important stuff, the furniture, the thousands of little things in my jewelry studio...  And then the movers called on Tuesday afternoon and asked if they could come and pack on Wednesday instead of Thursday.  Gah!  We weren't ready and Steve was still away for work, but after one very stressful day of blitzkrieg packing, most of our things were packed in boxes.  And then I sat on the floor of my closet and just bawled.

And then on Thursday the movers came back and in a few short hours our stuff was on a big truck.

And later that day it was in a storage unit.  And I didn't cry at all that day.  Victory!

Friday was the last day our kids were going to their preschool, and I was so touched by all the thoughtful gifts and scrapbooks from the teachers and hugs and well wishes.  We LOVE our preschool family!  Olivia is excited to send letters from Sweden to her class.

Can I just take a moment to say how helpful my parents have been, even more than usual, this week?  The kids were thrilled to have a big sleepover at Grandma & Papa's house, play with all their toys, and get lots of attention while Steve and I have been preoccupied with things at the house.  Dad started showing up on Monday, asking what he could do to help, giving support, and problem solving.  Every day he was there, and I lost count of how many times he took loads of trash to the dump or boxes of "still good" stuff to the thrift store.  He even drove to Baltimore to get Steve after he dropped his car off at the port.  Mom made sure we were fed well and had clean clothes and enjoyed being there for the kids.  We're so thankful for my parents!  Steve's parents and countless friends offered to come and help as well, but we had a good team and we got the job done.

On Saturday we cleaned the house, took one last load of things to the storage unit, mailed a box of books to Sweden, cleaned my car for selling, attended our first gender reveal party with our sweet friends John & Lauren (a little brother for Micah!), and celebrated my dad's 79th birthday a few days early.  In true Richardson fashion there were trick candles on the cake, but the kids did a good job helping Papa blow them out again and again.  On Saturday night my mom commented that it felt like the night before I got married, knowing things would never be the same again.  We have truly enjoyed the 7 years we spent in Winchester, having our kids and making sure they know their grandparents.

Sunday brought another round of sweet hugs at church.  Then the buyers came to pick up my car, my mom fed us one last home-cooked meal, and then it was time to head to the airport.  All of the luggage (read: everything we're bringing to Sweden, minus books and a couple coats) and the five of us squeezed into his Highlander.  Then at Dulles we filled two luggage carts and spent a very long hour in line at ticketing.  And Dad stayed until we got to security!  Love that man.  So helpful.

I think I'll stop here and talk about the rest of the journey next time.  Jet lag is catching up with me.  (Hint: We made it!)

1 comment:

J. said...

Glad to hear you made it safely and looking forward to hearing your updates. Jill