Thursday, April 26, 2018

Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes

Around 2002 Steve's colleague invited us over for dinner and served us chocolate lava cakes for dessert. The recipes are all over the interwebs, but I wanted to post the one I use for my own reference. I got it from the inside of the Baker's Bittersweet chocolate package, back before Pinterest ever existed. And then I found it hard to find bittersweet chocolate where I shopped, but I hung onto the recipe. Here we are, several moves later, and I saw bittersweet chocolate at Lidl so I found the recipe in my 3-ring binders with recipe cards in page protectors. 

The full recipe is for 6 servings, but for so long it was just Steve and me so the math was easy. But now that we have 4 people wanting one I'll write out the ingredients for 2, 4, and 6 servings in case I get distracted while baking. (Ahem).

Molten Chocolate Cakes

For 6
4 oz (6 squares) bittersweet chocolate
10 Tbsp butter
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 c flour
3 whole eggs
3 egg yolks

For 4
2.6 oz (4 squares) bittersweet chocolate (by weight)
7 Tbsp butter
1 c powdered sugar
1/3 c flour
2 whole eggs
2 egg yolks

For 2
1.3 oz (2 squares) bittersweet chocolate (by weight)
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 c powdered sugar
3 Tbsp flour
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
  1. Grease the appropriate number of 6-oz ramekins and place on baking sheet. Preheat oven to 425F if you are baking immediately. (See tip below).
  2. Microwave chocolate and butter for 2 minutes or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. 
  3. Add powdered sugar and flour, mix well. 
  4. Add whole eggs and additional yolks; stir with wire whisk until well blended.
  5. Divide batter evenly among prepared ramekins.
  6. Bake at 425F for 14-15 minutes or until cakes are firm around the edges but soft in the centers. Let stand 1 minute. Run small knife around the edge to loosen, then carefully invert onto dessert plate. Serve immediately.
Tip: Make these ahead, cover ramekins with plastic wrap and refrigerate, then bake as directed while you are finishing dinner. 

No comments: