Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Peaches and Cream Pie

The kids and I spent two weeks in the NC mountains after school let out, which was a perfect way to kick off our summer slowly: hiking, reading, listening to the rain, doing puzzles, and seeing their cousins at the end. When we got back it was peach season in Virginia, so we went to pick a bunch and now I'm trying to decide what to do with them. In May we picked strawberries and I made a fresh strawberry pie, which was really good but then I saw a recipe for one with a cream layer so I thought I'd modify that for peaches. Plus I already had a pie shell in the freezer. I decided to do a clear glaze instead of the kind with Jell-O. I also doubled the filling, but then didn't end up using it all. (Well, it didn't go to waste either. Made a really good fruit dip!)

Peaches & Cream Pie
Inspired by this recipe

1 Deep-dish frozen pie crust*

Cream Filling*
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
2 cups peeled and thick-sliced peaches

Glaze
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp vanilla

Instructions

1. Bake pie crust according to the label. I used beans to keep the sides from sliding down, but next time I'll leave it in the full suggested time. Set aside to cool.
2. Whip your heavy cream in a large bowl.
3. Beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together in a medium sized bowl until smooth. Stir in whipped cream.
4. Spread filling into pie crust.
5. Combine water, sugar, and cornstarch in a saucepan.
6. Cook over medium heat, stir constantly until mixture thickens.
7. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
8. While glaze cools, arrange peach slices on top of the cream filling. I probably could have fit more peaches on this one. Just make sure there's enough to handle all the filling.
9. Brush glaze over peaches.
10. Refrigerate before serving.

*If you're using a regular size crust/pie plate, cut the cream filling ingredients in half.

No comments: