Sunday, November 16, 2008

Oh, what a night

I gave birth during the night. By myself. I really don't remember the actual delivery, so this morning at 5:30 when the nurses still hadn't come in, I rang the call button and got a wrong number. This baby sure came early, and all I could think about was how we'd have to try and distinguish birthday celebrations from the Thanksgiving holiday (instead of Christmas, as expected). Eventually a nurse came around to find me holding a baby wrapped in a sheet, red and wrinkly and already as big as a 6-month-old.

"Oh my gosh! Did you have a boy or girl?"

"Oh, yeah! I forgot to look."

"Where is the placenta?"

"It's on the bed, wrapped in a sheet." And sure enough, the nurse unwrapped it and weighed it. The placenta, not the baby.

Then I racked my brain trying to remember what time the baby was born so we could properly assign a date of birth. Racking one's brain in the middle of a dream is hard work.
. . . . . .

Oh, and regarding the last paragraph of this post... To quell rumors that I'm having twins (I'm not), I found out that day that I'm likely going to need to find a new OB with less than 6 weeks to go. And also? I eat well, people! Please stop trying to force-feed me cookies to keep me from starving.

1 comment:

WASPy Girl said...

Hey Anne~ I know you have many people in town who can recommend drs, but the female attorneys at Josh's work highly recommend Winc Wom's Spec. I checked after you left on Sat. and all the drs are board certified. It's an all-male practice and you do see all the drs. I just wanted to pass along that info...so you know you have more options than the "flea" dr. I'll probably end up going there. Once again, I'm really sorry you have to deal with all this!