Thursday, July 21, 2011

Mini Blackberry Pies

It's blackberry season here and I love to pick berries, so my mom and I went to the local orchard to pick some.  I love pie, mostly because I love my crust recipe and the filling is just an excuse to eat pie crust.  It seems my berry pies always end up a soggy mess once they are cut, though, so I looked around online and talked to my friend Rosemary, and decided to try tapioca as a binder (1/4c to 4c berries) this time.  I also came across the concept of mini pies.  I rolled out the dough and cut 6" circles, forming little bottom crusts in the wells of a jumbo muffin tin, then used the scraps to make lattice tops.  The regular recipe says to bake at 425 for 15 minutes and then 375 for 20-25 minutes.  Since these were small I checked at 10-minute increments and lost track of the total time.  The results were rather deep-dish, which yielded a pleasant crust-to-filling ratio, not soupy at all (perhaps too stiff even?).  Next time I'll try to roll the crust a little thinner, add slightly less tapioca, and maybe even make a mixed batch of mini pies; some blackberry and some peach. 


1 comment:

Pretty Things said...

All I can say is, do you deliver? And can you make me a cherry piiiiiie?