Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Laundry day

We are fortunate to have a washer and dryer in our apartment.  In many episodes of House Hunters International the prospective tenants are horrified to find them in the kitchen, which I don't think is a big deal, but ours happens to be in the bathroom, a front-loader with a dryer on top.

 The instructions on the back of the detergent.
Yesterday I made another trip to the grocery store, this time to buy more serious things like laundry detergent.  This is one of those times I'm relieved to have only a few choices of products in a particular category because I couldn't make out a single word on the packaging.  I went with the overall look and price, so hopefully it works okay.  I don't think top-loader machines are as common in Sweden (they use a lot more water and Swedes are environmentally conscious) so I didn't worry about finding a "high efficiency" detergent.

In the kitchen I found a 50ml measuring cup, and after measuring out detergent I poured it into the cap, which is unmarked but turns out to be about that volume. There are three sections of the detergent dispenser drawer, so I put detergent in the big one, hoping it's like the one we had in Virginia.  The fabric softener calls for a half-cap for a 4-6kg load, so I put that in the medium size section of the dispenser drawer.  I think the small one is for bleach.

Now for the controls.  Someday I'm guessing there will be an app where you can scan a word and it will plug it into Google Translate for you (million-dollar idea!), but I don't have that app or a Swedish-English dictionary (it's still in the mail).  And in the time it takes to run to my computer and type in a Swedish word is about the amount of time it takes my jet-lagged brain to forget the word.  So I went with the only word I recognized ("normal"), which is where the dial already was.


It's nice that it gives you a little key to explain the buttons, but I'll have to look up these words as well.  And the water temp was in Celsius so I'll have to do a little cheat sheet.  I'm used to general terms like hot, warm, and cold, so I'm not even sure what temperature a warm water wash should be.  Sigh.


Don't get me started on all the kinds of cheese at even the small grocery store, none of which sounds familiar except for gouda.

No comments: