Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sofiero Slott

This weekend we explored some more of Skåne County, the southern part of Sweden we visited during our beach trip earlier this summer.  I had heard good things about Sofiero, the former summer home of Sweden's royalty.  It's not as grand as the Vanderbilt's summer home but then again this is Sweden: everything in moderation (lagom).


The property is located on Øresund, the strait between Sweden and Denmark, and we could see Kronborg Castle (Elsinore in Hamlet).

Bowen thought it was "Elsa's castle"

I would love a studio with a view like this.

Each room in the house is decorated according to a different period during which the house was occupied.  I especially liked the painted furniture since my vicarious hobby is pinning pictures of furniture refinished with Annie Sloan chalk paint and antiquing wax.


Sofiero's grounds range from wooded areas that could be the setting for fairy tales...




... to manicured gardens with gorgeous flowers.







There is a kids' area with the actual playhouses used by the princesses, complete with dress-up clothes and play kitchens.


They had a great time playing on this castle slide.  I can tell this gets busy in the summertime, but we had the place to ourselves.  I guess the Swedes were busy having crayfish parties.


My favorite parts of the whole property were the greenhouses.  The Orangery had orange, lemon, lime, and fig trees growing. (Here! In chilly Sweden!)  I love the heady aroma of orange blossoms, which takes me back to spring break in Florida during college.


There was another greenhouse with grapevines growing inside.  I just wanted to stay there and never leave!  So cool.  Note to self: add orangery and vinery to dream home plans. Also a pillow pit for reading.


I love this picture Steve took of the roots.  See?  Easy peasy, just water the roots in a few places.  Right? Okay, maybe they have a huge staff with degrees in horticulture who know where and when to prune and stuff like that.  A girl can dream.


Click here to read about the rest of our weekend in Helsingborg.

.

No comments: