Friday, September 5, 2014

Fika at Elvis Presley's

There's a cafe on the Avenyn called Eva's Paley, but in cursive it looks like Elvis Presley so that's what I call it.  We've walked by countless times, but today I actually went inside to meet my friend Lorah for fika.  It's amazing!




I love the curly iron railings, the painted "tile" counter, even the designs etched onto the mirrors.  I judge a cafe by the coziness factor first, and this one has plenty of places to curl up with a latte.


It has tables and chairs and outdoor seating as well, but I can definitely see myself coming here in the winter.


The next thing I look for in a cafe is the food selection, specifically sweet things that go with coffee.  Every place has great coffee, so that's not a determining factor.  Lorah and I decided to split what was labeled drottningpaj and resembled a bar cookie served with vanilla sauce.


At first glance it looked like blueberry (blabar), but the barista described it as a combination of raspberry (hallon) and blueberry, so I figured it was blackberry.  Later google told me drottning means "queen" and the "queen's mix" is a mixture of raspberries and blueberries.  Ah!  Swedish pie seems to be either really flat, like this drottningpaj, or made in a springform pan and very tall, like the apple pie on the vanilla sauce box. (Swoon!) Both have a crumb top, and both are really good, especially when served drowned in vanilla sauce.


No comments: